Vol. 1 Num. 3
A Publication of the Project World Class
April 1999 
Into The Woods We Go
By Sondra
     Throughout this year in Project World we have taken some excursions into the nearby woods and other woods among the state of New Hampshire. These always turn into adventures that none of us will ever forget. On April 20, 1999 the Project World class pilled their frame packs into a trailer and hit the road. We were on our way to the northern half of the state, Crawford Notch, where we planned to hike along the Nancy Pond trail until we reached Nancy Pond that is situated in between two mountains. This is a very picturesque place to spend the night, at least this is what we were told.

     As the Project World class hiked along the trail they, came in contact with a few obstacles. There were many streams that were hard to cross without getting our feet wet, and there was lots of snow. The streams posed to be huge obstacles at time. Some places that you were supposed to cross the rocks that you were supposed to step on were either too far apart or they were submerged in the water. The group really pulled together at these moments. Here were the times where people would become leaders and help out. Some of the of the people that rose to the occasion were Jimmy Consentino, Vinnie Johnson, Tom Wilhelm, EJ Gaudet, and Dana Heath. Not to mention our fearless leader Jason Loik. 

     In certain spots where people were stepping on the snow they would fall through the snow up to their waist. Sarah Raffenello, a student in the Project World class, recounts walking along with Loik on the trail. "He had one leg in the snow. Then he tried to get out with the other leg, and that leg fell through. Then his face went right in the snow," she says laughing now as she is picturing Loik all over again. Loik wasn't the only one who ended up in the snow to his waist. Everyone had his or her moment. One person would have their leg stuck and another would move in to help him/her and they would go down. 

     At one point Gaudet stopped us and we turned around instead of going to the top and going on to Nancy Pond. "The conditions were bad and we didn't have the right equipment. Someone could have gotten hurt," Gaudet said. Once the group found a camping site they all set up their tents. Once the food was cooking people started to emerge from their tents with the promise of food. It had been a long day and everyone was ready for some rest. 

     After dinner we had another obstacle cross our path, getting a fire started.  There were four guys, others were added as time went on around the fire circle trying to get the fire started. They tried method after method: the teepee, the log cabin, and just throwing dry leaves on it. After probably ten to fifteen minutes Jason Graham, one of the four original people trying to get the fire started, turned away and said "That's it. I'm retired." Eventually Gaudet came to the rescue and the fire roared to life. The fire lifted everyone's spirits and the drizzle was barely noticeable. Soon everyone was submerged in his or her own conversations. Some were on cartoons, some were on the challenging hike during the day, others were on how wet and tired they were. 

     Everyone woke up the next day with the promise of hot chocolate, warm oatmeal, and bagels for breakfast. Since the campsite was close to the beginning of the trail the group took their time waking up and getting everything taken down and packed away. It was around eleven when they took to the trail again. We were out of the woods by noon and on the road by one. Even though some people were sick and others were injured from the trail, everyone had a good time. I'm sure none of them will ever forget this trip, especially the boys who worked on the fire.